Your online banking password ensures that only you can access your confidential information. Your password must more than six characters, is case sensitive, and must contain a mix of letters, numbers and special characters (!@#$ etc.), but cannot contain spaces. Please remember this password and keep it secure. If you forget your password, you will have to be reset.
Your password is one of the most important defenses you have for protecting your account information! Here are some tips for choosing (and protecting) a strong password: Try to memorize the password, and avoid writing it down. Mix letters, numbers and symbols, and use case sensitivity (upper and lower case letters). This makes it harder to ‘crack’ your password. Find a good way to remember it. For example, choose the first letters of a sentence that you will remember. ‘I have 2 dogs called Rover and Fido’ translates to Ih2dcRaF. Use punctuation to your advantage.
Also, avoid using:
- The name or birth date of your spouse, child, pet or other loved one
- Social Security or phone numbers
- Any part of your physical address
- Other information that is easily obtained about you (your alma mater, mother’s maiden name, or past address, for instance)
- Any username on the computer in any form
- A word in the English or foreign dictionary
- A password used on another site
- Any of the above spelled backwards
- Sequences: “12345678,” “abcdefg” or passwords that could easily be advanced: “January2015,” “February2015,” “March2015,” etc.
Above all… Do not share your password with anyone! The employees of First Internet Bank do not need your online banking password to answer your questions or troubleshoot your account.